Dr. Terry Ye is the Professor at the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) at the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), and by courtesy, an Adjunct Professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Carnegie Mellon University. Dr. Ye is active in both academic research as well as industrial applications in many engineering areas that include IC Designs, Internet-of-Things (IOT) Wearable Sensor Devices and Neuromorphic Computing ICs.
Dr. Ye received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 2003 and Bachelor of Science in Electronic Engineering from Tsinghua University (Beijing) in 1993. Prior to SUSTech, Dr. Ye had been the Professor of CMU-SYSU Joint Institute of Engineering since 2014, as well as the Director of Research and Technology Development of Hong Kong R&D Center for Logistics and Supply Chain Management (LSCM) since the center’s inception in 2007, He also serves as the research fellow at the University of Hong Kong. the Chief Scientist of IOT Lab at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology， as well as Member of the Consultant Committee of Microsystem Institute, China Academy of Science.
Beside his academic activities, Dr. Ye is also keen on industry-academic collaborations. He had held various engineering and consulting roles in China Academy of Science, Impinj Inc, Synopsys Inc., Magma Design Automation Inc., Silicon Architects Inc. and many other Silicon Valley companies.
1993, Tsinghua University, BSEE
2003, Stanford University, PhD, EE
2018 – Present, Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
2014-2017, Associate Professor, Joint Institute of Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University and Sun Yet-San University
2007 – 2014, Director of Research and Technology Development, Hong Kong R/D Center
IC Designs, EDA, Internet-of-Things (IOT) ICs, Wearable Sensor Devices and Neuromorphic Computing ICs
Awards & Honors
First Prize Winner of 2012 National Technology Venture Competition (Co-Founder)
Red Herring 2014 Top 100 Global High Tech Startups (Co-Founder)
Recent Journal Publications:
- “Utilizing Gradient Porous Graphene Substrate as the Solid-Contact Layer To Enhance Wearable Electrochemical Sweat Sensor Sensitivity”; Kan Kan Yeung, Jingwei Li, Ting Huang, Imman I Hosseini, Rakib Al Mahdi, Md Masruck Alam, Honglin Sun, Sara Mahshid, Jian Yang, Terry Tao Ye*, Zhaoli Gao*; Nano Letters 2022;
- “Battery-Less Sensing of Body Movements Through Differential Backscattered RFID Signals”; TZ Wang, S Dai, Y Liu, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE Sensors Journal 2022 (9), 8490-8498;
- “An All-Fabric Tactile-Sensing Keypad with Uni-Modal and Ultrafast Response/Recovery Time for Smart Clothing Applications”; M Chen, L Xu, Y Liu, M Yu, Y Li, Terry Tao Ye; ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2022
- “Moving target localization and activity/gesture recognition for indoor radio frequency sensing applications”; Y Sun, H Xiong, DKP Tan, TX Han, R Du, X Yang, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE Sensors Journal 2021 (21), 24318-24326;
- “Multiplication Through a Single Look-Up-Table (LUT) in CNN Inference Computation”; S Xu, Q Wang, X Wang, S Wang, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2021 (6) 1916-1928;
- ““Unconventionally Shaped” Antenna Design for UHF RFID Tags”; S Wang, Y Liu, Terry Tao Ye; International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2021;
- “Coolmax/graphene-oxide functionalized textile humidity sensor with ultrafast response for human activities monitoring”; L Xu, H Zhai, X Chen, Y Liu, M Wang, Z Liu, M Umar, C Ji, Z Chen, L Jin, Yi Li, Terry Tao Ye; Chemical Engineering Journal 2021, 412, 128639;
- “E-textile battery-less displacement and strain sensor for human activities tracking”; Y Liu, M Yu, B Xia, S Wang, M Wang, M Chen, S Dai, T Wang, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE Internet of Things Journal 2021 (8, 22), 16486-16497;
- “A Fast Self-Jamming Cancellation Architecture and Algorithm for Passive RFID Sensor System”；Chuankui Shen; Haoqiu Xiong; Xu Wang; Fengcheng Mei; Terry Tao Ye*； IEEE Communications Letters 2021,
- “Optical sensor network interrogation system based on nonuniform microwave photonic filters”； D Xiao, L Shao, C Wang, W Lin, F Yu, G Wang, Terry Tao Ye, W Wang, MI Vai；Optics Express 2021, 29 (2), 2564-2576
- “Broadband and Fast Carrier Cancellation for Backscattered RFID Communications”； Haoqiu Xiong, C Shen, Terry Tao Ye*； IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters 2020, 31 (1), 84-87
- “Exploiting Embroidered UHF RFID Antennas as Deformation Sensors”； Mengxia Yu, Xuanyu Shang, Miao Wang, Yulong Liu, Terry Tao Ye*； IEEE Journal of Radio Frequency Identification 2020,(4), 406-413
- “Characterization and Modeling of Embroidered NFC Coil Antennas for Wearable Applications”； L Xu, X Chen, S Tan, Z Hu, B Ying, Terry Tao Ye*, Y Li；IEEE Sensors Journal 2020 (23), 14501-14513
- “Blind symbol rate estimation based on BPF bank“,； Chuankui Shen, Terry Tao Ye,*,； Elsevier Digital Signal Processing, 2020, DOI:10.1016/j.dsp.2020.102698
- “Moisture-Resilient Graphene-dyed Wool Fabric for Strain Sensing“； Lulu Xu, Zekun Liu, Heng Zhai, Xiao Chen, Rujie Sun, Shida Lyu, Yangyang Fan, Yangpeiqi Yi, Zhongda Chen, Lu Jin, Jianbao Zhang, Yi Li, Terry Tao Ye,*； ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2020
- “Characterizations and Optimization Techniques of Embroidered RFID Antenna for Wearable Applications”； Yulong Liu, Mengxia Yu, Lulu Xu, Yi Li, Terry Tao Ye,*； IEEE Journal of Radio Frequency Identification, 2019
- “ Deformation-Resilient Embroidered NFC Antenna and Energy Harvester for Wearable Applications”； Lulu Xu, Zekun Liu, Xiao Chen, Rujie Sun, Zhirun Hu, Zijian Zheng, Terry Tao Ye,* and Yi Li*； Advanced Intelligent System, 2019, DOI:10.1002/aisy.201900056.
- “Enhanced Output Power of a Freestanding Ball-Based Triboelectric Generator Through the Electrophorus Effect”；Tsz Hin Choy, Feichi Zhou, Wei Xu, MC Wong, Terry Tao Ye, Jianhua Hao, and Yang Chai； Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2018, 6, 18518-18524.
Recent Conference Papers:
- “A Method of Fast M-type Approximation on Probabilistic Shaping for Optical Communication”; J Zhu, X Li, Y Lv, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE 94th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2021-Fall), 1-5;
- “55nm CMOS analog circuit implementation of LIF and STDP functions for low-power SNNs”; Z Yang, Z Han, Y Huang, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design 2021;
- “Analog Circuit Implementation of Neural Networks for In-Sensor Computing”; J Zhu, B Chen, Z Yang, L Meng, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI 2021 (ISVLSI), 150-156;
- “Customized Instruction on RISC-V for Winograd-Based Convolution Acceleration”; S Wang, J Zhu, Q Wang, C He, Terry Tao Ye; IEEE 32nd International Conference on Application-specific Systems (ASAP2021);
- “Wearable deformation sensor with ambient interference rejection using differential backscattered RFID signals”; S Dai, T Wang, Y Liu, Terry Tao Ye; 2021 IEEE International Conference on RFID (RFID2021), 1-6;
- “Analog Circuit Implementation of Neurons with Multiply-Accumulate and ReLU Functions”；Yucong Huang, Zhitao Yang, Jianghan Zhu, Terry Tao Ye*；Proceedings of the 2020 on Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, 493-498, 2020
- “Analog Circuit Implementation of LIF and STDP Models for Spiking Neural Networks”； Zhitao Yang, Yucong Huang, Jianghan Zhu, Terry Tao Ye*； Proceedings of the 2020 on Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, 469-474, 2202
- “Coupled Planar Coil (CPC) Antenna as a Displacement Sensor for NFC or HF RFID Tags”； Yulong Liu, Miao Wang, Terry Tao Ye*； IEEE International Conference on RFID 2020
- “Embroidered Inductive Strain Sensor for Wearable Applications”； Yulong Liu, Miao Wang, Mengxia Yu, BingYi Xia, Terry Tao Ye*； IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communication (PerCom), PerLS Workshop 2020
- “Fabrics-Based Embroidered Passive Displacement Sensors for On-Body Applications”； Yulong Liu; Miao Wang; Bingyi Xia; Terry Tao Ye*； International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks (EWSN) 2020
- “Analog Implementation of Reconfigurable Convolution Neural Network Kernels”； Jianghan Zhu, Yucong Huang, Zhitao Yang, Xiaoying Tang, Terry Tao Ye*； Proceedings of the IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, IEEE APCCAS 2019,
- “Improving Symbol Rate Estimation Accuracy by Bandpass Filter Bank”； Chuankui Shen, Terry Ye； Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Conference on Communication Technology ，IEEE ICCT 2019
- “Verilog-A Model for MTJ-Based Continuously Tunable Memristors”； Terry Tao Ye, Jimmy (Jian-Gang) Zhu； The International Conference on Memristive Materials, Devices & Systems, MEMRISYS 2019,
- “Deformation Sensitivity Study of Embroidered UHF RFID Antennas”； Mengxia Yu, Xuanyu Shang, Miao Wang, Yulong Liu, Terry Tao Ye； IEEE International Conference RFID Technology and Application, IEEE RFID-TA 2019
- “Transfer Learning for Automatic Segmentation of the Cornea based on Ocular Staining Images”；Junyan Lyu; Jiaming Qiu; Lijie Deng; Yue Zhang; Terry Tao Ye; Xiaoying Tang； MDBS 2019.
- “Passive Embroidered Stretch Sensor Utilizing UHF RFID Antennas“； Mengxia Yu, Silong Wang, Yulong Liu, Lulu Xu, Terry Tao Ye； IEEE Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, IEEE UIC 2019
- “Textile Based Embroidery-Friendly RFID Antenna Design Techniques”； Yulong Liu ; Lulu Xu, Yi Li ; Terry Tao Ye； IEEE International Conference RFID, IEEE RFID 2019
“Powering Networks on Chips -- Energy-Efficient and Reliable SoC Interconnect Design”,Terry Tao Ye, Luca Benini, Giovanni De Micheli,Book Chapter in “Low Power Electronics Design”, Publisher: CRC Press 2004.
PhD and Master Students