Zhen GAO is an Associate Professor of Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech). He received PhD in 2018 from School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, following his B.S. degree in 2009 and M. S. degree in 2012 from Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, all majored in Electrical Engineering. His current research interests include electromagnetic wave theory and applications, photonic crystals, spoof plasmonics, metamaterials, topological photonics, and terahertz technology. As the first author or corresponding author, he has published more than 30 papers on Nature, Nature Communications, Physical Review Letter and Advanced Materials. He received National Distinguished Youth Expert in 2020, the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Student Award in 2016, Ten Major Advances in Chinese Optics in 2019 and The National-level Talent in Shenzhen.
2013.08-2018.01, Nanyang Technological University, PhD (Applied Physics)
2009.09-2012.03, Zhejiang University, Master (Electronics Science and Technology)
2005.09-2009.06, Zhejang University, Bachelor (Electronic Information Engineering)
2021-04 to present, Southern University of Science and Technology, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Associate Professor
2018-09 to 2021-04, Shenzhen Linbou Wireless technology Company, Chief Technology Officer
2018-01 to 2018-09, Nanyang Technological University, Research Fellow
Ten Major Advances in Chinese Optics in 2019
Top 10 Social Influential Events in Chinese Optical Field in 2019
Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Student Award in 2016
National-level Talent in Shenzhen.
1. Y. Yang, Z. Gao#(通讯作者), H. Xue, L. Zhang, M. He, Z. Yang, R. Singh, Y. Chong, B. Zhang# and H. Chen#, Realization of a three-dimensional photonic topological insulator, Nature565, 622–626 (2019).
2. Y. Yang, Z. Gao#(通讯作者), X. Feng , Y. Huang, P. Zhou, S. A. Yang#,Y. Chong#, and B. Zhang#, Ideal Unconventional Weyl point in a chiral photonic metamaterial, Physical Review Letters125, 143001 (2020). (Editors’ Suggestion)
3. F. Gao*, Z. Gao*(*同等贡献作者), X. Shi, Z. Yang, X. Lin, H. Xu, J. D. Joannopoulos, M. Soljacic, H. Chen, L. Lu, Y. Chong, and B. Zhang, Probing topological protection using a designer surface plasmon structure, Nature Communications7, 11619 (2016).
4. Z. Gao, F. Gao, Y. Zhang, H. Xu, Y. Luo, and B. Zhang, Forward/Backward switching of plasmonic wave propagation using sign-reversal coupling, Advanced Materials29, 1700018 (2017).
5. Z. Gao, L. Wu, F. Gao, Y. Luo, and B. Zhang, Spoof plasmonics: from metamaterial concept to topological description, Advanced Materials30, 1706683(2018). (Invited Review)
6. Z. Gao, H. Xu, F. Gao, Y. Zhang, Y. Luo, and B. Zhang, Surface-wave pulse routing around sharp right angles, Physical Review Applied9, 044019 (2018).
7. Z. Gao, F. Gao, H. Xu, Y. Zhang, Y. Luo, and B. Zhang, Flexible photonic topological insulator, Advanced Optical Materials 6, 1800532 (2018).
8. Z. Gao, Z. Yang, F. Gao, H. Xue, Y. Yang, J. Dong, and B. Zhang, Valley surface-wave photonic crystal and its bulk/edge transport, Physical Review B 96, 201402(R) (2017)(Rapid Communication and Editors’ Suggestion)
9. F. Gao*, Z. Gao*, (*同等贡献作者),Y. Luo and B. Zhang, Invisibility dips of near-field energy transport in a spoof plasmonic meta-dimer, Advanced Functional Materials 26,8307-8312 (2016).
10. Z. Gao, F. Gao, Y. Zhang, and B. Zhang,Deep-subwavelength magnetic-coupling-dominant interaction among magnetic localized surface plasmons,Physical Review B 93, 195410 (2016).
11. Z. Gao, F. Gao, H. Y. Xu, Y. M. Zhang, B. L. Zhang, Localized spoof surface plasmons in textured open metal surfaces, Optics Letters41, 002181(2016).
12. Z. Gao, Z. Wang, and B. Zhang, Subwavelength wave manipulation in a thin surface-wave bandgap crystal, Optics Letters 43, 50-53 (2018).
13. Z. Gao, F. Gao, Y. Zhang, X. Shi , Z. Yang, and B. Zhang, Experimental demonstration of high-order magnetic localized spoof surface plasmons,Applied Physics Letters107, 041118 (2015).
14. Z. Gao, F. Gao, Y. Zhang, and B. Zhang,Complementary structure for designer localized surface plasmons,Applied Physics Letters 107, 191103 (2016).
15. Z. Gao, F. Gao, and B. Zhang,Guiding, bending, and splitting of coupled defect surface modes in a surface-wave photonic crystal, Applied Physics Letters108, 041105 (2015).
16. Z. Gao, F. Gao, and B. Zhang, Multi-directional plasmonic surface-wave splitters with full bandwidth isolation,Applied Physics Letters108, 111107 (2015). (Editor’s Pick)
17. Z. Gao, F. Gao, H. Xu, Y. Zhang, and B. Zhang, Experimental demonstration of a band-notched line-defect waveguide in a surface-wave photonic crystal,Applied Physics Letters109, 065639 (2016).
18. Z. Gao, F. Gao, H. Xu, Y. Zhang, and B. Zhang, Experimental demonstration of Fabry-Perot open resonators in a surface-wave bandgap crystal, Applied Physics Letters111, 121102 (2017).
19. Y. An, Z.Gao#(通讯作者), and Z. Ouyang, Surface wave photonic quasicrystal, Applied Physics Letters116, 151104 (2020).
20. Z. Gao, F. Gao, K. K. Shastri, and B. Zhang, Frequency-selective propagation of localized spoof surface plasmons in a graded plasmonic resonator chain, Scientific Report6, 25576 (2016).
21. Z. Gao, F. Gao, and B. Zhang, High-order spoof localized surface plasmons supported on a complementary metallic spiral structure, Scientific Report6, 24447(2016).
Topo-EM Lab is recruiting postdoctoral fellow and research assistant. We are also open for application of PhD, Master, and intern positions with background in optics, physics, information, and communications. Please find more details in: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/NlQyhuXMjInbXLmz-2fsQA. Visiting scholars and exchanging students are also very welcome! Please send you CV to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have interest to join. Address: South Tower of Engineering Building RM 707, South University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), No. 1088 Xueyuan avenue, Nanshan district, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518055, China, and Tel: +86 (18682303638)
South Tower of Engineering Building RM 707, South University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), No. 1088 Xueyuan avenue, Nanshan district, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518055, China