Jamal Deen is Distinguished University Professor, Senior Canada Research Chair in Information Technology, and Director of the Micro-/Nano-Systems Laboratory, McMaster University. His current research interests are nanoelectronics, optoelectronics, nanotechnology, appling to health and environmental sciences. Dr. Deen’s publications include more than 550 peer-reviewed articles, two textbooks and 12 awarded patents. Over his career, he has won more than fifty awards and honors. His awards and honors include the Callinan Award as well as the Electronics and Photonics Award from the Electrochemical Society; the Distinguished Researcher Award from the Province of Ontario; a Humboldt Research Award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation; the Eadie Medal from the Royal Society of Canada; McNaughton Gold Medal, the Fessenden Medal and the Ham Education Medal, all from IEEE Canada IEEE Canada. In addition, he was awarded the four honorary doctorate degrees in recognition of his exceptional research and scholarly accomplishments, professionalism and service. Dr. Deen has also been elected Fellow status in ten national academies and professional societies including The Royal Society of Canada - The Academies of Arts, Humanities and Sciences, IEEE, APS and ECS. Currently, he is serving as the elected President of the Academy of Science, The Royal Society of Canada.
Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA (January 1986)
M.S., Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA (May 1982)
B.Sc., University of Guyana, Guyana, South America (1978)
Awards & Honors
Honorary Degrees & Fellowships/Membership in National Academies or Societies】
- Doctor - Honoris Causa，El Instituto Nacional de Astrofísica, Óptica y Electrónica, Puebla, Mexico, 11 Nov 16.
- Doctor - Honoris Causa, Universitat Rovira I Virgili, Tarragona, Spain (7 March 2014).
- Doctor - Honoris Causa, Universdad de Granada, Granada, Spain (25 May 2012).
- Doctor of Engineering - Honoris Causa, University of Waterloo (18 June 2011). link1, link2, link3, link4, link5.
- Member - European Academy of Sciences and Arts (10 July 2014).
- Fellow (Foreign) - NASI, The National Academy of Sciences, India (October 2012).
- FAPS - Fellow, The American Physical Society (November 2008) – link1, link2, link3.
- FINAE - Fellow (Foreign), The Indian National Academy of Engineering (September 2007) - link1, link2.
- FCAE - Fellow, The Canadian Academy of Engineering (April 2007) - link.
- FRSC - Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (June 2006) - link. Highest honor for scholars, artists and scientists in Canada.
- FAAAS - Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (October 2005) - link1, link2.
- FECS - Fellow, Electrochemical Society (May 2004) - link.
- FEIC - Fellow, Engineering Institute of Canada (December 2003) - link.
- FIEEE - Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (November 2002) - link1, link2, link3.
- Honorary Member (highest honor), WIF - The World Innovation Foundation ( (May 2006). Highest honor from WIF.
International and National and Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Visiting Fellowship Award，Royal Academy of Engineering, UK (University of Exeter), 2017.
- PIFI Distinguished Scientist Award，Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 2017.
- Overseas Academic Masters Scholar Award，Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, 2017.
- Ham Outstanding Engineering Educator Award - IEEE Canada (5 May 2014).
- Vice-Chancellor’s Award - The University of the West Indies (11 May 2013).
- AGL McNaughton Gold Medal - IEEE Canada (6 May 2013) – Top Award for Engineers.
- Fessenden Silver Medal - IEEE Canada (9 May 2011). link1, link2, link3.
- Electronics and Photonics Division Award - Electrochemical Society (1 May 2011). link1, link2, link3.
- Science and Technology Award, New Pioneers Awards, Toronto, Canada (February 2010) - link1, link2, link3, link4, link 5, Link 6
- Thomas W. Eadie Medal - RSC, The Royal Society of Canada (July 2008) - link1, link2. Only Engineering Award from RSC.
- Technology Achievement Award - ICCC, Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce (June 2009) - link1, link2, link3
- Guyana Award – Academic Excellence - Guyana Awards Council (Canada) (May 2008) – link1, link2.
- Humboldt Research Award – Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (April 2006) – link1, link2, Link 3
- IBM Faculty Award - IBM Corporation, USA (2006).
- Distinguished Lecturer - IEEE - Electron Device Society (2002 - present).
- Thomas D. Callinan Award - Electrochemical Society - Dielectric Science and Technology Division (2002).
- Senior Canada Research Chair - Government of Canada (2001 - 2022).
- Member Eta kappa Nu – Electrical Engineering Honor Society (1985).
- American Vacuum Society Scholar - Elect. Eng. & App. Phys. Department, CWRU (1983-1984).
- Fullbright-Laspau Scholar - Elect. Eng. & App. Phys. Department, CWRU (1980-1982).
- Irving Adler's Prize - Best graduating mathematics student at the University of Guyana (1978).
- Chancellor's Medal - Second best graduating student of the University of Guyana (1978).
Other Competitive Awards for Research and Service
- Honorary Professor，Xidian University, Xi'an, China, September 2017 -August 2020.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor，Huazhong Univ. Science & Technology, Wuhan, China, April - May 2017.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor，Huazhong Univ. Science & Technology, Wuhan, China, April - May 2016.
- Honorary Professor，Shanghai University, 2015 - 2018.
- Càtedres d’Excellència，Universitat Rovira I Virgili (URV), Tarragona, Spain, Feb - March 2016.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor，Univ of Electronic Science & Tech, Chengdu, China, Dec 2015 – Dec 2018.
- Guest Professor - Jiang Nan University (2014-2016)
- Winegard Lecturer - University of Guelph (10 May 2013).
- Engineering Research Award - McMaster University (8 May 2013).
- Royal Society of Canada Keynote Lecture - Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics – CANCAM (6 June 2011). link1, link2. link3, link4,
- Càtedres d’Excellència - Universitat Rovira I Virgili (URV), Tarragona, Spain (Jan-March 2011).
- Bao Yu-gang Chair Professorship - Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, China (August 2009 – for 3years)
- NSERC Senior Industrial Fellow - Device Technology (P813), Northern Telecom, Ottawa (1993).
- Listed in Canadian Who's Who (2007).
- Listed in Academic Keys Who's Who in Higher Education Engineering (2006)
- Listed in American Men & Women of Science (from 17th Edition, February 1989).
- Distinguished Researcher Award - Province of Ontario (July 2001).
- IEEE Exemplary Student Branch Award for SFU (Deen - Counselor and Kwan - Student Chair) - Region 7 (1995).
- IEEE Outstanding Branch Counselor and Advisor Award for Canada - Region 7 (April 1994).
- Reward and Recognition Award - Silicon Technology Division (P810), Northern Telecom, Ottawa (1993).
Best Papers/Posters/Presentation Awards
- Best Presentation Award，The 2017 Int’l Conf. on Computer, Information and Telecommunication Systems (CITS-2017), Dalian, China, 21-23 July 2017.
- Best Congress Keynote Speech Award，The 2017 World Cybermatics Congress, Chengdu, China, 16-19 Dec 2016.
- Best Presentation Award，The 2016 Int’l Conf. on Smart X, Dalian, China, 29-31 July 2016.
- Best Presentation Award，IEEE Int. Conf. on Smart City – IEEE Smart City 2015, 19-21 Dec 2015.
- Best Presentation Award，IEEE Int. Sym. Future Inf & Com Tech for U-Healthcare, 28-30 May 2015.
- Best Keynote Speech Award – 17th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Computational Sci. & Eng. (19-21 Dec 2014)
- Best Poster Award – Autonomics - Fourth Int. Symposium on IT Convergence Engineering (12-13 July 2012).
- Best Poster Award – Nanosensors - Fourth Int. Symposium on IT Convergence Engineering (12-13 July 2012).
- Best Poster Award - Autonomics - Third Int. Symposium on IT Convergence Engineering, 14-15 July 2011
- Best Poster Award – Nanosensors - Third Int. Symposium on IT Convergence Engineering, 14-15 July 2011
- Best Poster Award - Autonomics - Second Int. Symposium on IT Convergence Engineering, 19-20 Aug. 2010
- Outstanding Student Paper Award - IEEE Electron Devices Society's 2006-07 Region 9 Competition (2008).
- Premium Award – Institution of Engineering Technology (formerly IEE) (2007).
- Best Student Paper Award – Annual Micronet Workshop, Ottawa (May 2005).
- Best Paper Award – Institution of Engineering Technology (formerly IEE) (2004).
- Best Student Paper Award - EEE Canadian Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering (2004).
- Best Student Paper Award - SPIE Conference on Noise in Devices and Circuits (2003).
- Best Invited Paper Award - IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (2002).