Prof. Guo is an expert with worldwide reputation in the fields of medical robots for minimal invasive surgery and biomimetic underwater robots, biomedical engineering, and micro actuators, on which subjects he has published more than 885 IEEE journal and conference papers, multiple Japan and China patents, books, and book chapters. His publications have more than 13,099 Google Scholar citations, with h-index of 54 and i-10 index of 341. Highest single-paper citation is 484. Prof. Guo is ranked among the top 0.5% scientists in Robotics & Biomedical Engineering, he is the World’s Top 2% Scientists 2022 (Stanford’s list of Top 2% Scientists). Prof. Guo is the recipient of the Chang Jiang Professorship Award by the Ministry of Education of China and the Oversea Talent Professorship Award of the Global Elite Program of China, in 2005 and 2012, respectively, as well as multiple Best Paper Awards. Based on his scientific achievements, he was elected to EAJ (Engineering Academy of Japan) Fellow and IEEE Fellow in 2020 and 2021, respectively. His total research funding exceeds US$5,500,000, with an annual average of over US$300,000 during 04/2010–07/2023.
1995 Ph.D., Department of Mechanical Information Engineering, Nagoya University, Japan
1986 M.S., Department of Precision Mechanical Engineering, Changchun Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, China
1983 B.S., Department of Optical Mechanical Design, Changchun Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, China
•2023-present, Chair Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology, China
•2005-2022, Full Professor, Intelligent Mechanical Systems Eng'g Dept., Kagawa University, Japan
•2012-present, Guest Chair Professor, Department of Biomedcal Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology, China
•2005-2006, Visiting Professor, Department. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada
•1998-2004, Associate Professor, Intelligent Mechanical Systems Eng'g Department, Kagawa University, Japan
•1995-1998, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Mie University, Japan
•1986-1991, Lecture, Department of Precision Mechanical Engineering, Changchun Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, China
* Robot-assisted Endovascular Catheterization
* Medical Surgery and Welfare Robot
* Robot-mediated Rehabilitation System
* Underwater Microrobot System
* Micro Movable in-pipe Robot
· IEEE Fellow for contributions to medical robots for minimally invasive surgery and biomimetic underwater robots, 2021.
· Fellow, Engineering Academy of Japan, 2020.
· The Oversea Talent Professorship Award of the Global Elite Program of China, 2012.
· Chang Jiang Professorship Award by the Ministry of Education of China, 2004.
· Scopus Most Cited Chinese Researchers in Biomedical Engineering, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
· Data for "Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators", World’s Top 2% Scientists 2022.
· President’s Honor Roll for PH. D Student Teaching Excellence, Kagawa University, 2021.
· IEEE CME 2020 Best Student Paper Award, Peng Shi, Shuxiang Guo, Xiaoliang Jin, Takashi Tamiya, Hideyuki Hirata, “A novel endovascular interventional robotic system with haptic force interface”, August1-31, 2020.
· WCICA 2018 Best Biomedical Paper Award, Shuxiang Guo, Xiaojuan Cai, Yan Zhao, Baofeng Gao, “A novel VR-based simulator for the interventional surgical catheter and guidewire cooperation”, 2018.
· Best Paper in Biomimetics of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE ROBIO 2016), Liwei Shi, Shaowu Pan, Shuxiang Guo, Kun Tang, Ping Guo, Rui Xiao, Yanlin He,” Design and Evaluation of Quadruped Gaits for Amphibious Spherical Robots”, December 2016.
· Best Conference Paper Award of the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation, Shuxiang Guo, Jian Guo, Lin Shao, Peng Wang, Yunliang Wang, “Performance Evaluation of the Novel Grasper for a Robotic Catheter Navigation System”, July, 2014.
· J. Tarn Best Paper in Robotics of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE ROBIO 2013), Baofeng Gao, Kangqi Hu, Shuxiang Guo, Ping Guo, “Analysis of the Haptic Collision and Deformation of the Blood Vessel Model for the Microsurgery Training System”, December 2013.
· Best Paper Award of 2013 ICME International Conference on Complex Medical Enginnnering (IEEE/ICME CME 2013), Jian Guo, Guo Shuxiang, Pang Wang, Wei Wei, Yunliang Wang, “A Novel Type of Catheter Sidewall Tactile Sensor Array for Vascular Interventional Surgery”, May 2013.
· Best Presentation Paper Award of 16th Intelligent Mechatronics Workshop, Shuxiang Guo, Shilian Mao, Liwei Shi, Shunichi Yoshida, Nan Xiao, September, 2011.
· Best Conference Paper in Information Award of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (IEEE ICIA 2011), Zixin Zhao, Shuxiang Guo, “A CDMA Acoustic Communication System for Multiuser Based on Sound Card”, June, 2011.
· Best Paper Award of 2011 IEEE/ICME International Conference on Complex Medical Enginnnering (IEEE/ICME CME 2011), Masahiko Kawanishi, Takashi Tamiya, Guo Shuxiang, “Embolization of Cerebral Aneurysms Using Intracranial Stent”, May, 2011.
· Best Paper in Automation Award of 2008 IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics (IEEE ICAL 2008), Guo Shuxiang, Hiroyuki Yamaji, Yousuke Kita, Kunihiko Izuishi, Takashi Tamiya, “A Novel Active Catheter System for Ileus Treatment”, November
· Best Conference Paper Award of 2004 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE ROBIO2004), Guo Shuxiang, Okuda Yuya, Asaka Kinji, “ICPF Actuator- based Novel Type of Underwater Micro Biped Robot with Multi DOF”, August 2004.
· Best Conference Paper Award of Best Paper Award of 2003 International Conference on Control Science and Engineering (ICCSE 2003), Guo Shuxiang, Okuda Yuya, Seiji Hata, Asaka Kinji, “A Novel Type of Underwater Micro Biped Robot with Multi DOF”, December 2013.
· Best Paper Award from IS2000, 2000 International Conference on Information Society in the 21st Century, Guo Shuxiang, Oguro Keisuke, “Microsystem for Bio-Medical Applications (Development of Micro Active Cather System and New Type of Micropumps)”,November 2000.
· Encouragement Research Award from TOKAI Science and Technology Foundation, Japan, March 1998.
· Encouragement Research Award from the TOKAI Section of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME), September 1997.
1. Xianqiang Bao, Shuxiang Guo, Cheng Yang, Haptic Interface with Force and Torque Feedback for Robot-assisted Endovascular Catheterization, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, TMECH-12-2022-14692.R1, in press, 2023. (Q1, 中科院大类1区Top, IF= 5.867)
2. Chunying Li, Shuxiang Guo，”Characteristic Evaluation via Multi-Sensor Information Fusion Strategy for Spherical Underwater Robots”, Information Fusion, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inffus.2023.02.024, 2023.( JCR Q1,中科院1区 TOP，IF：564).
3. Xianqiang Bao, Shuxiang Guo*, Yangming Guo, Cheng Yang, Liwei Shi, Youxiang Li, Yuhua Jiang, Multilevel Operation Strategy of a Vascular Interventional Robot System for Surgical Safety in Teleoperation, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol.38, No.4, pp.2238-2250; DOI: 10.1109/TRO.2022.3140887, 2022；JCR 1区，TOP期刊，IF: 6.835（2022年杂志影响因子）
4. Shuoxin Gu, Linshuai Zhang, Shuxiang Guo*, Liang Zheng, Ruochen An, Tao Jiang, Ai Xiong, Communication and Cooperation for Spherical Underwater Robots by Using Acoustic Transmission, TMECH-04-2021-11726.R1, pp.1-10, DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2022.3199598, 2022. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2022. JCR 1区，TOP期刊，IF: 5.484（2022年杂志影响因子）
5. Ziyi Yang, Shuxiang Guo*, Yi Liu, Masahiko Kawanishi and Hideyuki Hirata, A Task Performance-based sEMG-driven Variable Stiffness Control Strategy for Upper Limb Bilateral Rehabilitation System, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Online ISSN: 1941-014X Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TMECH.2022.3208610, 2022. JCR 1区TOP期刊，IF: 5.484（2022年杂志影响因子）
6. Chunying Li, Shuxiang Guo, “Performance Evaluation of Spherical Underwater Robot with Attitude Controller”, Ocean Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2022.113434, 2022. (Q1, 中科院大类2区, Top, IF=4.372)
7. Yi Liu, Shuxiang Guo, Ziyi Yang, Hideyuki Hirata, Takashi Tamiya, “A Home-based Tele-rehabilitation System with Enhanced Therapist-patient Remote Interaction: A Feasibility Study”, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 4176-4186, https://doi.org/10.1109/JBHI.2022.3176276, 2022. (Q1, 中科院大类2区Top, IF=7.021)
8. Yonggan Yan, Shuxiang Guo, Chuqiao Lyu, Duohao Zhao, Zhijun Lin, “SEA-based Humanoid Finger-functional Parallel Gripper with Two Actuators: PG2 Gripper IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, DOI: 10.1109/TIM.2022.3229695, 2022. (Q1, 中科院大类2区, IF=5.332)
9. Zixu Wang, Shuxiang Guo*, Jian Guo, Qiang Fu, Lingling Zheng and Takashi Tamiya, “Selective Motion Control of a Novel Magnetic Driven Minirobot with Targeted Drug Sustained-release Function”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, DOI:10.1109/TMECH.2021.3063750, 2021. JCR 1区，TOP期刊，IF: 5.303（2021年杂志影响因子）
10. Shuxiang Guo*, Yu Song, Xuanchun Yin, Linshuai Zhang, Takashi Tamiya, Hideyuki Hirata, Hidenori Ishihara, “A Novel Robot-Assisted Endovascular Catheterization System with Haptic Force Feedback”, The IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol.35, No.3, pp.685-696, DOI: 10.1109/TRO.2019.2896763, 2019. JCR 1区, TOP期刊，IF: 6.483（2019年杂志影响因子）
11 books/book chapters, 317 journal papers, 668 conference papers, over 40 Japan and China patents, and 6 tutorials/ plenary talks/panels. More than 13,099 Google Scholar citations, with h-index of 54 and i-10 index of 341. Highest single-paper citation is 484. Top 0.5% in Robotics & Biomedical Engineering.